IntroductionSurely 2011 will be remembered as the year that dual-core CPUs made their smartphone breakthrough. Here we have the LG Optimus 2X pioneer and we are rushing to give you a preview of what dual-core CPU has to offer to you today.
LG Optimus 2X official photos
It’s not one of our typical previews you will be seeing here – we are just going to focus on the performance of the Optimus 2X and hopefully, the Tegra 2 platform it pioneers. Normally, we avoid getting into details about the performance of non-retail units, but this one is so good that it will almost be unfair to save the praise.
But let’s first have a look at the key features of the LG Optimus 2X:
- General: Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support; 3G with HSPA
- Form factor: Touchscreen bar phone
- Dimensions: 123.9 x 63.2 x 10.9 mm, 139 g
- Display: 4" 16M-color TFT LCD capacitive touchscreen, 480 x 800 pixels
- Platform: Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, Ultra Low Power GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 chipset
- OS: Android 2.2 (Froyo)
- Memory: 8GB onboard storage, microSD card slot
- Camera: 8 megapixel auto-focus camera with face detection and touch focus; 1080p video recording @ 24fps and 720p@30fps
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, standard microUSB port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, micro HDMI port
- Misc: Adobe Flash 10.1 support, FM radio, accelerometer, proximity sensor, gyroscope, DivX and Xvid video support up to 1080p
LG Optimus 2X at ours
Of course, that is only valid if the dual-core baby performance cashes all the checks that the LG PR department wrote. Everyone wants to feel a noticeable improvement in performance and unless the Optimus 2X provides, the bubble might burst.
So let’s see what those benchmarks have to say about it. Join us after the break.